Tuesday, March 8, 2016

I Can Get A Kit Anywhere



Can I just get a caboodle without the kit?  


I imagine it's right next to the hemispheres of wax and the 4.5 yards.  


So, today's Sametime Status deals with the phrase "The whole kit and caboodle."  I thought of this not too long ago when I actually used the phrase mentally, which is strange enough in its own right, since I never use this phrase.  I wondered why you had to get the kit as well as the caboodle, and what the difference is between those two things which in turn makes up one complete everything.  

As it turns out, the word "Caboodle" is derived from the expression "kit and boodle," wherein "boodle" refers to ill-gotten loot.  So, Caboodle would seem to already include the kit, so are you in fact getting two kits if you manage to get the whole kit and caboodle?  Does this render my initial question about obtaining merely a caboodle without the kit completely irrelevant?  If a caboodle includes a kit, do you really need the whole kit AND caboodle?  These are important questions, people.  

As a complete side note, I was first made aware of the expression "The whole kit and caboodle" from the great Bob Barker years ago while watching The Price Is Right.  He would say this from time to time, and while context allowed me to understand what the phrase meant, I was under the impression that the phrase was "kitten caboodle."  I still had no idea what a caboodle was, but I was disappointed that there were never kittens involved. 

No comments: