Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The Real Answer Is In Your Little Brown Jug


Is it too soon for accidental Ritchie Valens jokes?  Asking for a friend...


Here's a secret.  The "friend" is Jeremy. 


I have no idea what you're talking about.  Today's Sametime Status is referring to a purely hypothetical person who, for strictly Blag purposes, we'll call "Jerome."   


Fair enough, Jerome...I mean, Jeremy.  How did you go about accidentally making a Ritchie Valens joke anyway?


Well, one of my...I mean Jerome's coworkers uses his Sametime Status as a vehicle for sharing daily trivia questions with his loyal readers.  Not long ago, the question was about a big band leader who mysteriously vanished some time ago.


First person who starts singing "In The Mood" gets a boot in the pants.  


While discussing the question with others, one person remarked how they thought the answer dealt with "The Day The Music Died," but couldn't remember the name of the artist involved.  I...I mean...Jerome...absentmindedly remarked, "No, that was Ritchie Valens.  They know where he landed," in order to disqualify the answer for a question having to do with a missing person. 


Nice work, pinhead. 


So, for those of you unawares, Ritchie Valens, along with Buddy Holly, J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson and Roger Peterson died in a plane crash in Iowa on February 3, 1959.  That day would become known as "The Day The Music Died," as Valens, Holly, and Richardson were all well known musical artists of the day.  

It quite honestly was merely a poor choice of words to say that they "landed," and at least a little insensitive.  I...I mean...Jerome felt a little bad about the somewhat Freudian slip, but 56 years after the fact, maybe the statute of limitations has worn off.  After all, we can make the Abraham Lincoln joke now, and that's okay!  


"I need to see this play like I need a hole in the head."  


It's not quite The Skeleton Joke, but nothing is.  

No comments: