Wednesday, December 2, 2015

I'm Too Smart For You, Scammers!



Oh goodness!  The phone scammer says the IRS is about to sue me 


That was actually me.  Remember when you bought me that Robo-Dailer for Christmas?


I work with many many other people, some of whom occasionally try to reach me by telephone.  Sure, Sametime (an Instant messenger program, and the primary reason this Blag exists in the first place) is the preferred method of contacting me, but sometimes that's not an option either.  Especially for those colleagues who work for different companies than my own.  It's times like this when my phone rings. 


Wait...you can use phones for calling people?  You only use yours for Snapchat.


Unfortunately, far too many people use my work phone for non-work purposes.  Political robo-calls come to my office frequently around election season, car warranty companies call me around once a week to tell me that my car's warranty is about to expire (it's not), and that I need to buy an extended one from them (I don't).  Also, random salespeople and charities call looking for money because the best way to earn it is to randomly call me.  

Well, now we can check IRS-impersonating scammers off the list!  

I had heard about this scam a couple weeks back from a friend who let this sort of nonsense get a little too far before he also correctly determined it was a scam.  So here, as a public service, is a description of this crap so you won't fall victim, just like I didn't.  

So, a robo-dialer called me and when I answered, a computerized voice explains that the IRS has been trying to get ahold of me.  So why they would use this number instead of the one that I put on my tax returns is a clue as to the nature of what's happening here.  Apparently, the IRS is about to file a lawsuit against me for payment of $5000 in back taxes, penalties and fees.  If I want to avoid prosecution (oh, and arrest by the local authorities...can't forget that part), I need to pay the $5000 in the form of a pre-paid debit card.  The nice computer even offers to help me with the transaction if I need assistance.  

I was amused.  

At least partially because I had heard of this scam before, and Have Previously Verified that it is, in fact a scam.  Also, I've paid all of my taxes, so I don't have anything to worry about there.  Also, since that call, I've heard three of my nearby coworkers talking about the same scam calls in the last two days.  Be like us.  Don't fall for the fake IRS scam.  

This public service has been brought to you by Jeremy Is In The Office.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I personally never bother myself answering any call that comes from number I don't recognize. These IRS scams have been around since long time ago, though. I don't know why people still fall for these scams. I even can easily find reports about them almost everyday filed at sites like http://whycall.me and another similar sites. It seems like we should always spread the word to our family about them.