Monday, May 18, 2015

Still Finished It



I have confirmed through science that putting ketchup on egg sandwiches is, to use a technical term, yucky


It doesn't quite cross over into "Icky-poo" territory, though.  The data were simply not that strong.  


So, there are people out there that really really like ketchup.  I'm not one of those people.  Sure, I think it's great and perfectly suited for things like a hamburger, or french fries, but that's really about it.  I have seen other people putting ketchup on steak, ice cream, scrambled eggs, grilled cheese, and potato chips.  I don't get it.  Ketchup simply isn't that magical to require being put on all of this stuff.  Also...ice cream?  Seriously?   

Anyway, it should be noted that I'm not opposed to tomatoes or tomato-based condiments when it comes to breakfast.  A pan-fried tomato and mushrooms next to an omelet is amazing.  Try it!  I've put tomato, spinach, and feta cheese in an omelet.  Also amazing.  Breakfast burrito with some salsa?  Sure thing!  Ketchup on any of the above...a big hearty, "No thanks" from Jeremy.  

It should also be noted that I'd never actually tried it.  I simply used my deductive skills and understanding of culinary physics to determine that it wouldn't be a good thing for me.  The fact that some people like it was puzzling to me, but not really a consideration.  I mean, people like NASCAR too...there's just no accounting for taste sometimes.  

So, not long ago, I had ordered a specific type of breakfast sandwich to be delivered to me from a local deli to my location.  At this particular deli, they routinely ask if you would like salt, pepper, and ketchup on your breakfast sandwich, and I was well aware of this.  I had asked for the sandwich to be made with salt and pepper, and no ketchup.  It arrived with no salt, no pepper, and simply slathered in ketchup.  

It sucked.  

I don't blame the person who brought it to me, as his order was exactly the same, and his disappointment at eating ketchup all over his sandwich was just as apparent as mine.  Some signals got crossed at the deli, where the order taker appeared to confuse "Salt, pepper, no ketchup" with "lots and lots of ketchup."  It's understandable.  Not something I want to see repeated, though. 

Seriously...I've now done the science for you.  Don't put ketchup on your egg sandwiches, folks.  It's pretty bad news. 

No comments: