Thursday, April 29, 2010

Admit it...you do it too

I'm apparently too nerdy to mow the lawn


Just add it to the list...


I guess so. Anyway, I was mowing yesterday. I have one of those walk-behind mowers that pushes itself, so I get all the fun of using a push-mower with significantly less of the work. It's the sort of thing I do. For some perfectly valid reason, I keep my mower on the lowest speed setting, though I haven't gone through the science of trying out the higher speeds under different conditions yet. At the time, it was appropriate, and I just haven't changed it. I'm going to assume it's the best speed for in-situ mulching and go with that as my official story.


Speaking of official story, people are getting bored with it. Get to the point.


The point is that yesterday, while mowing, Cab Calloway's "Minnie The Moocher" came on the mp3 player. I quickly realized that this is a great mowing song, because the beat perfectly matches my walking cadence while behind the mower.


Great stuff, Jeremy. Let's go drink.


My brain quickly descended into all the different things that can be learned from this. If I count the number of steps it takes me to make one full pass across the yard and know the length of my property, I can accurately calculate the tempo of the song. If I know the tempo, I can determine exactly how long it will take to make one line. I can calculate my mowing efficiency in the front yard versus the back yard (Since the back yard is best mowed in a triangular fashion). If I measure my stride, and know the tempo of the song, I can calculate the ratio of front to back yard. The possibilities are limitless!


My patience isn't. See you tomorrow.


If I know the length of the yard and my stride length, I can calculate the speed of the lawnmower in the lowest gear!

No comments: