Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I really want to do more of these

People Who Just Don’t Get It; Volume 1: The person driving a Range Rover who swerves to avoid a speed bump.


Today's Sametime Status is the first in a recurring theme of posts designed to make fun of people who just don't get it. Today...drivers of unnecessary SUV's


I'm not going to come out and say that SUV's are bad. I'm sure they're safer than micro-type cars, unless you happen to be trying to turn at a modest rate of speed, and the ability to drive over curbs when the traffic patterns don't suit you can be remarkably handy. However, the vast majority of SUV commercials we see these days promote the off-road capabilities of these vehicles...particularly the more expensive ones. In fact, certain SUV dealers have a special off-road course for you to test drive the trucks on so you can learn just how well they handle savage terrain before you buy the thing so you can drive it straight to the McDonald's Drive-thru.

The one that bothered me the most was a recent viewing I had of a person driving a Range Rover. For those of you unaware, this is a remarkably expensive SUV (starting MSRP is just on the short side of $80K, says the website) which can handle any sort of off-road capability you can throw at it. This driver veered wildly to the side of the driving lane so that they would only run over a speed bump with the wheels on one side of the car. While I agree that this lessens the impact on your car...you're driving a car that's designed for just such an occasion! Don't be That Guy...drive in a straight line and take the bump. Let your SUV pretend it's in the wilderness somewhere...that's what you paid for, right?

2 comments:

Willie Y said...

I alway marvel at the people driving Hummers in Boca Raton Fla. where you do need that uber SUV.

Jeremy said...

Just for the record, when I had my Bronco I didn't call them "speed bumps." I just called them "bumps."

Of course, this was confusing, as I also used the same terminology to describe little old ladies who were too slow, pimped out Dodge Neons, yippy dogs, and numerous forms of extra-slow wildlife.