Monday, September 14, 2009

Future Victim of Identity Theft

The cashier at the home improvement store now has a 50/50 chance of guessing my address


This concerns you?


It does. In this day and age, anything people learn about you can be dangerous.


So maybe you shouldn't post your daily exploits on a webpage with millions of loyal readers.


Fair enough. I'll alter some of the details to protect the innocent.

It was time to get a new mailbox. I discovered last week while picking my mailbox off the ground that only about 4" of the post were underground...and the end of it was kinda rotted, too. Overall, it was a pretty sad state of affairs, so it was time to go. This involves buying a new mailbox and post at the local "Highs" franchise of home improvement warehouses. While I was at it, I purchased a new post, some cement to encase the thing in, and some new numbers so the postal worker could be sure they were delivering my stuff to the right address.


They'll still give you your neighbour's mail quite often.


Entirely beside the point. It occurred to me while checking out that the cashier now knows potentially what my address is. For today's explanation, I'll use my old address so you can't hunt me down. Let's say I purchased a "1" and a "9" along with a new mailbox. You'll know with certainty that my address is either 19 or 91. There really are no other options. Now, if you can just determine what street I live on, you now know exactly where I live and which phone line to tap if you plan on stalking me. I unwillingly invited this upon myself, and now I'm a little scared. I mean...this cashier has access to cement and power tools and as much plastic sheeting as he'll need. It's more than a little unnerving.

3 comments:

Willie Y said...

16 or 61.

Z said...

Hey, didn't High's also install your front door? So not only do they know exactly where you live, they also know that weakness in the entrance door structure for which there was a recall but they never bothered to tell you. Honestly, it may be time to move and get off the grid entirely.

Tim said...

God bless large suburbs of big cities; I have five digits! Guessing my address would be like playing 10 Chances on TPIR... only without winning a toaster oven and an exercise bike. Strangely enough, the last digit is zero in both games.