Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I actually get my hopes up

The intro to Finger Eleven’s "Paralyzer" is exactly the same as the intro to "Never Did No Wanderin" by The New Main Street Singers.


The New Main Street Singers?


That is correct. The fictional folk band from the movie A Mighty Wind stole a folk song from "The Folksmen" and, as so often happens in covers, completely ruined it. The main issue with this being that the new version is actually a whole lot funnier than The Folksmen's original. I guess it's not an 'issue' per se, since the film is a mocumentary, and the juxtaposition of the two songs is supposed to be funny, and is even mocked directly in the script...but that's beside the point.


I've forgotten what the point was supposed to be.


The point is that the intro to this song, really just a single strummed chord, is copied exactly for the introduction to "Paralyzer." Here, there is an issue, because there is no aspect of Finger Eleven's song that has ANYTHING to do with that chord, acoustic guitar, or folk music other than the first note. It's a little weird and seems very much out of place. Combine that with the fact that every time I hear that song come on the radio, I start to sing, "WANDERIN'" and it's total chaos.

I just thought I'd point this out to everyone.

No comments: