Friday, December 5, 2008

Second-Cousin-Once-Removed of Rhetorical Friday

If I had a nickel for every time I’ve heard, "If I had a nickel for every time I’ve heard..."...


Wow...an actually original phrase for Rhetorical Friday? Are you feeling okay?


This whole thought came about not long ago, while visiting a new baby that I'm not related to in any way who will grow up knowing me as "Crazy Uncle Jeremy." For the purposes of the Blag, let's call her "Emma."

"Emma"'s mother made a comment at one point during my visit that won't be quoted here because it's at least mildly inappropriate, but suffice to say it was pretty amusing both in and out of context. This caused me to reply, "If I had a nickel for every time I've heard THAT..."


Not altogether uncommon, really.


Exactly. However, upon further examination of the quote any my response by all parties involved, I came to realize that if I did actually have a nickel for every time I'd heard that particular phrase (or a slight variation thereof...I don't remember exactly), I would have precisely 10 cents. That and a dollar fifty will buy me a cup of coffee up at the adorably tiny cafeteria thing at work.


Is this story much longer? I'd like to get up there for a bagel...


I was left with the sullen realization that either the world is growing more immune to sarcasm, or cliche's themselves are becoming cliche. Maybe I just said the "If I had a nickel" phrase simply because that's what I'm supposed to say in that particular instance. Perhaps people have become accustomed to reading quotes online in faceless automatonic blags, and thus are less prone to sarcasm recognition. Or maybe I just really need to hear that phrase more often...I think that's the best solution!

7 comments:

Willie Y said...

If I had a nickle every time I read a blog about someone saying if I had a nickle I would have 5 cents.

Willie Y said...

Oh I for got, did you know that in Denmark the say "I wish I had a Kroner for every time I heard the word pickled herring."

Jeremy said...

da kidz deez dys don't sa "If I had a nickel" dey txt "5c?" jeez - gwtt

Jeremy said...

GWTT: Get With the Times

Willie Y said...

okey dokey !

Jeremy Dailey said...

...but are they eliminating Ritazza coffee at your workplace, leaving Green Mountain as the only survivor (and a bit more expensive)?

Jeremy said...

Actually, they had a vote earlier this year, and Ritazza was voted out in favour of Dunkin Donuts. Unfortunately, they only brought 4 flavours over, NOT including Cinnamon.