Wednesday, May 4, 2016

This Story Stinks



What on earth possessed me to think I needed to buy more socks?  


Your feet were cold?  


That's a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why I may need to wear socks, but unless I was outside the house wearing no socks and happened to be in a place that sold socks where the temperature was too low, this seems like a stretch.   

This seems like a good time to explain some things about The Mind of Jeremy.  

So, I tend to be prepared for things most of the time when I have not made an active decision to fly by the seat of my pants.  Why there are differences, I'm not sure, but that's how things go.  Now, when I say "prepared," I tend to go at least a little overboard.  The best example of this might be party hosting.  Let's say I'm having a party for 10 people, and I've decided to grill hamburgers, hot dogs, and chicken.  Not too bad, right?  Well, let's say everybody there decides to go with hamburgers, I need to have enough hamburgers to make sure all 10 people are satisfied.  Then, I need just as many hot dogs, and just as much chicken.  Effectively, I've now organized enough food for at least 30 people.  Plus, there's always going to be the fact that there are sides and salads as well, plus everybody is probably going to bring something to contribute to the festivities.  There will be 3 1/2 metric craploads of food, and only 10 people to serve.  But, better this than to run out of chicken and have somebody who really wanted some of my famous barbecue chicken to be stuck with a crappy old hot dog.  

The same sort of situation applies to my sock drawer.

So, I have multiple categories of socks.  I have dressier socks for work and fancy days, which come in primarily black and brown.  I have casual socks for standard days of wearing jeans and sneakers.  I have older socks for mowing the lawn and other assorted house projects so that I don't get any of my good socks covered in paint or some such nonsense.  I have athletic socks for athletic things like volleyball and bike riding ,which come in many colors and assorted lengths.  

Let's say that I do my laundry every two weeks.  It's not a rigid schedule, but that's a decent enough estimate for our purposes here.  In order to not run out of socks, I need to have at least 14 days of socks available, with a small buffer for safety.  It follows, therefore, that in the event that I wear khaki pants for 14 consecutive days (It's never happened), that I would need 14 pairs of brown dressy socks.  conversely, for 14 straight darker pants days, I need 14 pairs of black dressy socks.  So on and so forth.  Bottom line, I have 3 1/2 metric craploads of socks.  True story: My sock drawer is currently sitting outside of my dresser, in my guest room, having had the bottom and back glued back together because I had so many socks that the drawer quite literally burst at the seams.  

So, not long ago, I was out shopping for shoes (another thing I absolutely do not need more of...but my outdoor volleyball shoes are on their last legs and tournament season is starting soon, and they stopped making the shoes that I like, so I needed to find something new...) and the store I found myself in had athletic-type socks on sale.  Buy one, get one free!  So, sure...some of my sportier socks could probably benefit from a trip to the dump, but I have many, many more.  All of that aside, these were pretty nice socks, and they were cheap...so I bought one and got one free.  And by that, I mean I bought one pack of six, and got another pack of six for free.  

I have no place to put 12 more pairs of socks.  


No comments: