Monday, March 9, 2015

You're Either Reading This, Or You're Not



Restaurant sign: “Kitchen Open ‘Til Close.”  That seems reasonable  


Welcome back, oh wayward traveler.   


Yes, indeed.  There are numerous wonderful stories of being on the road last week that we'll talk about, not the least of which being my cancelled flight because of an incident you may have seen on the news where a plane slid off a runway in the Greater Jeremy Area.  That gummed up the works of my travel a little bit and left me stranded for a couple extra days.


Unfortunately, they didn't let you stay, and you made it back.  I mean...happy you're home safe, Jeremy!  


So one of the things I noticed while traveling is that sometimes, signs don't make as much sense as you might like them to.  Maybe it's a colloquial thing (Hey, how do you like that?  I spelled colloquial right on the first try!), or maybe local laws are slightly different between where you are and where you're traveling.  (Hey, how do you like that?  I've spelled out "traveling" at least three times so far, and haven't gotten it right on the first try yet!)  For instance, the sign in front of a parking lot that said, and I'm quoting, "Lot Closed 8PM-6AM Except for Parking and Retrieving Vehicles."  I'm not even making that up, there's a picture of it on Twitter.  But seriously...what else are you supposed to do with a parking lot?  

There was also a sign outside a restaurant...it was on their awning, to be specific.  It said "Kitchen Open 'Til Close."  It reminded me pretty instantly of #45 On This Ranking Of Mitch Hedberg Jokes, for obvious reasons.  It makes perfect sense, though.  The kitchen would be open until they close it, and then it wouldn't be open anymore.  It's much like Samuel L Jackson in S.W.A.T, "You're either S.W.A.T., or you're not."  (By the way, don't see that movie)  It's entirely true, but not something you really need to say...ever. 

No comments: