Friday, November 11, 2011

I Have As Much Chance As Perry


Three reasons to celebrate today:  It’s 11/11/11, It’s Veterans Day, and uhm…I forget.  Oops


Once again, it's time to celebrate another cute little pattern in a date that's only there if you write it in once specific arbitrary way.  This time, we conveniently leave out the "20" in 2011 to create 11/11/11.  It's better than some of the ones we've had recently.  


And Happy Veterans Day to all the veterans out there and all the people who get to skip a day of work and school because of them.  I don't get to skip work, but I can still appreciate the Vets.  

I can also appreciate good political comedy when I see it, and candidate Rick Perry supplied us all with some comedic gold at the most recent presidential debate when he not only suffered a bout of complete mental flatulence, but looked absolutely terrible trying to cover it up.  Many Of You Have Probably Seen It Already.

Unfortunately for me, by the time I had realized how to turn this into satire (in jaunty Sametime Status form...see above), Jon Stewart Had Already Figued It Out, so I sound a little unoriginal, but I'm okay with that.  Jon's a professional, so I'll give credit where credit is due.  He jumped all over it in the same way I decided to...and probably did a better job.  

It's just a little sad that in this era of politics, where the 8-second sound byte is more important than knowledge, integrity, or anything of substance to a candidate, that certain politicians can't even remember to get their sound bytes right.  What's worse is that this episode pretty much seals the fact that Perry can't even think on his feet well enough to hold the highest office in the country.  Yet, he's still going to run, people are still going to funnel money to him, and yes...people are still even going to vote for him. 

No comments: