Monday, April 10, 2017

They're Round, So Can't Be Boxes, Apparently



Interestingly enough, tins are made of plastic now  


I don't even know when tins stopped being made out of tin.  Is there a history lesson somewhere?


Locating the full manufacturing history of containers dubbed to be "tins" is left as an exercise for the reader.  


Cheap cop out, Jeremy.  I like it!  


Not long ago, I realized that I was running low on mints at work.  I keep them in my desk drawer for after lunch and times that my breath just generally needs to be mintier.  In fact, in the middle of typing that last sentence, I decided to be mintier, so I grabbed a mint.  I go through them fairly quickly, but I'm okay with that.  It makes me more pleasant to have a conversation with.  


At least physically.  Mentally, having a conversation with you is just as mind-numbing.  


Most normal people would go to a grocery store or to a large chain box store where they have large displays of candy and mints right next to the cash registers in order to buy mints.  They also tend to have a larger candy-themed aisle dedicated to this sort of thing.  I am not most people.  I buy my mints online from a large retailer which, for strictly Blag purposes, we'll call Nile.com.  

I do this for several reasons.  


Liar. 


I do this for one reason.  It's ludicrously cheaper.  The exact same container of mints that I can buy at the grocery store for around $2.75, I can buy a case of on Nile.com fora shade under $2 each.  Of course, they come in a box of 8 containers, so I'm buying in bulk for the savings, but I'm okay with that.  Want to know why?  Because they're mints!  They won't go bad.  They'll just sit in a box in my office desk until I need them, at which time, I pull out a new container, open it up, and I'm good to be minty fresh.  I can do this 8 times before I need to think about it again...and I've saved six bucks.  Twelve if you count the fact that I bought two of them, but that's not important right now.  

Regardless of all of this, I noticed that the box my new mints came in specifically says that it contains eight "1.5oz (42 g) TINS."  They actually call the containers of mints "Tins."  One would think that the tins are made of...you know...tin, or at the very least some form of metal.  I mean, people still use the name "tin foil" to describe aluminum foil (or Aluminium, for our European readers), and that's generally considered acceptable.  But in this case, my mints are housed in containers entirely made up of plastic.  There is no metal, tin or otherwise, involved in my mint containers.  I feel I've been lied to. 

No comments: