Monday, August 29, 2016

You'll Also Know How To Get To Carnegie Hall



Whenever I get lost, I just assume I’m in Yonkers  


But then you have to move in with Grandma and Crazy Aunt Bella.


What on earth are you talking about?


You make a cultural reference, and you have no clue about the source material.  Awesome stuff, Jeremy.  


So, today's Sametime Status is a slight modification of a joke I make just about every time I travel towards New York City.  This usually involves passing through the city of Yonkers, New York.  Yonkers is not only a town with a magnificent name, it is one of the last northern suburbs of New York City you pass through before you get to The Bronx.  

It's also the subject of a Richard Dreyfuss movie.


Good Lord, Jeremy..."Lost In Yonkers" is a Pulitzer Prize-winning play which debuted in 1990. The movie version didn't come out for another three years.  


So, pretty much every time I find myself in Yonkers, I make the same stupid joke.  It never gets better, and it never will, but that will also never stop me from making it again.  I look to the nearest sign that says "Yonkers," and say to whoever is unfortunate enough to be within listening range, "Oh, Yonkers.  I got lost here once."  It's guaranteed to get a laugh or a slap upside the head.  Usually nothing in between.  


It's also complete nonsense, because the play has absolutely nothing to do with people getting physically lost.  This fact is completely lost on Jeremy.


It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for high comedy.  Anyway, the same joke backwards applies as well.  If you ever get lost, just make the assumption that you're in Yonkers.  You now know exactly where you are.  It's really helpful, and cultural all at the same time. 


If, of course, you completely ignore any and all cultural significance to the cultural reference you just made.  

No comments: