Thursday, June 23, 2016

I Bought Four Of Them, If You're Curious



Mail-In Rebates are great because you forget about them  


Which also means that companies who sponsor mail-in rebates could completely renege on them about 83% of the time, and nobody would notice.  Wonder if they do...


So, a little while ago, I made a reasonably substantial purchase.  I made this purchase because I really had to, ad my decision was swayed entirely by consumer reviews and test data, and not at all by the fact that I liked the name.  

Not at all. 

Anyway, my decision was also not swayed by the fact that the item I chose came with a reasonably substantial mail-in rebate.  This would help alleviate the cost of the item, but not to a very major degree...it was just a nice added bonus.  To my surprise, I actually filled out the form and mailed it in.  See, mail-in rebates are a pain.  Deliberately, I'm sure.  You have to have the original receipt, a huge form to fill in with your name, what product you bought, your email address, various demographic group information (which I believe I actually filled out accurately on this particular form), and more information than could ever be useful for the people who sold me the item I bought.  Most people either choose not to go through all of that rigmarole, or else they set it aside for later, forget about it, and remember to fill out the form 2-3 weeks after the rebate offer expires.  Or they lose the receipt.  I did that once...no rebate for my toothbrush that time.  Anyway...I actually remembered to do all of that nonsense this time, so I mailed away for my rebate.  

And promptly forgot about it.  

Not long ago, as I was reviewing the week's mail (Yeah...I seriously check the mail about once a week or so...that's how important the crap I get in the mail usually is) I found an envelope from the company I sent away for a rebate from.  Hooray!  I got free money that I completely forgot I rightfully had coming to me!  It, of course, came in the form of a prepaid gift card with an expiration date, so I have to remember to use it between now and then.  One more way they can skimp out on giving me my rebate.  I won't let it happen! 

No comments: