Wednesday, December 18, 2013

If I Didn't Tell People, Nobody Would Know I'm An Idiot



I just did a Google search for “Google.”  I need a vacation.


Good job, Jeremy.  Now the NSA knows that you're a moron.  They keep track of your internets searches, you know.  


Whether or not that's true, there's actually a mildly plausible explanation as to why I ended up doing a Google search for Google.  Also, in my defense, pretty much the instant I pressed the Enter key, I realized what I had done and felt shame...so I've got that going for me, at least. 


Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.


First of all, you loyal Blag readers will learn something about this that the folks who only read the Sametime Status at work won't.  This actually happened last Friday, so it technically didn't "just" happen.  You feel better knowing that.  So, here's how this came about.  I was planning some little snack foods to take to a party in the relatively near future.  They involve putting things in little phyllo dough shells.  You are now jealous and want one, but stay with me for a little while longer here.  I wanted to do a quick search on the internets to see which, if any, of the local grocery stores carried them, so I pulled up The Google.  I did this by typing Google.com into the address bar, as most of us are wont to do.  I type "phyllo dough mini shells" into the Google's search box and away I went, hoping to see if the "In Stock Nearby" button would work...it totally didn't.  So, I thought to pull up the website for one of the local supermarkets directly.  I go back up to the address bar and type in what I presumed to be the address of the store, though I wasn't sure...so I put in...for the sake of the blag, we'll call it "shopcorrectly.com".  I figured, if this was the actual web address for the ShopCorrectly chain of supermarkets, then the website would load just about instantly.  When it didn't, I decided to myself that the address must be something different, so I should go back to The Google and search for the supermarket's real address.  To do this, one would normally go back to the address bar and type in "google.com" as we have done previously to great success.  Well, as you might suspect, since the "ShopCorrectly" website didn't load immediately, the browser window was still showing my previous Google search results, including the search box at the top.  In my haste to get back to The Google, and spacing out on the fact that the search page was still being displayed, I clicked in the search box instead of the address bar, typed in "google.com" and hit enter.  Strangely enough, a search for google.com on The Google yields results including The Google.  Immediately sobered by the fact that I had done something this dumb, I at least had the presence of mind to type "ShopCorrectly" into the search box rather than clicking on the link to The Google to do my search.  I realized two things right then.  First, this story would make for a great, if self-deprecating, Sametime Status.  Second, my brain is mushy and I need a vacation.  Fortunately.....


Today is Jeremy's last day of work for 2013!  He'll be on vacation until Thursday, January 2, when we'll return with a whole bushel of 2014 Sametime Statuses waiting to be unleashed upon the unsuspecting world.  


So, from all of us here at Jeremy Is In The Office, have a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Any Other Holiday You Celebrate At This Time of Year (AOHYCATTY), safe travels for anyone hitting the roads and airports, and I'll see you all in 2014!


Jeremy Is In The Office will be Out Of The Office from Thursday, December 19th until Thursday, January 2nd.  So long, 2013!  

No comments: