Friday, December 6, 2013

There's Something About Radishes



Somebody may now explain to me why “Moon Over Parma” is stuck in my head


It's a fine Ohio-themed Christmas song.  Aside from the fact that you're not from Ohio, you don't live in Ohio, it's not a Christmas song, and it's not Christmas.  Other than that, it makes perfect sense, in a Jeremy sort of way. 


So last week, right around Thanksgiving, I was having a conversation about bowling and referenced this song.  There's a line in it about going bowling, and it's one of about 4 lines of the song that I actually know.    Over a week later, on a random Friday morning, the stupid thing pops back into my head and I can't get rid of it.  

At least yesterday, I had a new actual Christmas song stuck in my head, and that made sense.  Of course, when I say "new," it's one of the oldest Christmas songs around.  The song is called "Gaudete," and it comes from either the 15th or 16th century.  The lyrics are entirely in Latin, which led more than one Youtube commenter to announce that he would wait until there was an English version of the song to listen to it.  Good luck with that one, buddy.  Either way, it became relevant to me because Euro synth-pop recording artist Erasure recently put out a Christmas album, and it features this song.  As with all Christmas albums, the majority of Erasure's is boring derivative crap, but this one particular song is very well done, and worth a listen if you have Youtube And 4 Minutes To Kill Today

At some point overnight, this catchy and timely tune was replaced with Drew Carey's voice singing Bob McGuire's song.  I sometimes wish these things didn't happen. 

No comments: