Tuesday, May 24, 2011

It is if it talks to you

My gym bag is not a passenger


It does bear a striking resemblance to Wesley Snipes.


While that may be true...wait, what?


Never mind...


So anyway...today's Sametime Status, we can attribute to my car. It has one of those lights that flashes to annoy you into putting your seat belt on. Specifically, it has 2 lights, one for the driver, and a separate one for the front passenger. While in principle, I have no issue with this, it on occasion becomes a nuisance.

See, the light for the passenger doesn't come on when nobody's sitting in the seat. It also doesn't come on when the passenger is wearing their seat belt. The only time it's on (and flashing...this is important) is when there is somebody seated in the passenger seat without putting on the seat belt. How the car determines there's somebody sitting there remains a bit of a mystery, but it seems to be very subjective. I know this because sometimes I'll put random crap in the passenger seat (other than a passenger) which ostensibly does not require a seat belt. Things like my laptop bag, my gym bag, or a case of refreshing beverages on their way to a party. More often than not, these objects are viewed by the car as a passenger, prompting the car to inform me that my gym bag is not wearing its seat belt.

This is obnoxious.

The little red light sits there right in my peripheral vision blinking merrily away while I'm trying to drive. People talk about how something like yapping on the phone or eating a taco is just as distracting while driving as being drunk...well how about this stupid light flashing at me? It drives me batty.


You could always just put the gym bag in the trunk.


That hardly seems sporting, now does it?

No comments: