Wednesday, November 4, 2009

You'll get it

There's a fine line between bravery and "Asking For It"


I'm really hoping this comes with an amusing story of you crossing that line and ending up with some consequences. Please please please be the case...


Your concern for my well-being is noted, and I'm sorry to burst your bubble. Today's Sametime Status was thought up during a recent trip to the Adorably Tiny Cafeteria Thing In My Building. A gentleman was in the middle of tempting fate while dealing with the Famed Toaster of Hades.

You see, toasting preferences vary from person to person and from item to item. Bagels toast slower than bread, rye bread should be less toasted than wheat, nobody should ever toast a blueberry muffin and expect to get away with it...etc. High-volume industrial toasters are ill-equipped to deal with all of these variations and since the Cafeteria workers have removed all adjustment knobs from the face of the toaster, the only variable we have at our disposal is number of cycles. If one is not satisfied with the level of toasting achieved, another cycle can be run. The danger, of course, is that one can not un-toast an item once the Famed Toaster of Hades has its way.

Our friend here decided that a single toasting cycle was insufficient for his breakfast needs, so his toast went in again. Having dealt with the Toaster on a number of occasions, I was mildly concerned for him. To my abject terror, following two rounds of toasting, he studied his food carefully and put the toast in for a third go-round. This, my friends, is dancing with the devil...pale moonlight or otherwise. I thought to myself, "wow...this guy is brave." Then I thought to myself, "nope...this guy is asking for it."

1 comment:

Willie Y said...

New York Yankees number 27 checked off.