Monday, December 1, 2014

And Nothing About Bird Flu



Do Blake Shelton CDs come with a warning label from the Surgeon General?  


So, Jeremy's been spending his vacation time in an area containing lots of...shall we say...People Of Country Music Persuasion.  It's troubling, I know...but it does lead to the occasional humorous Sametime Status.  


While on vacation, I was made aware of the popular country music song "Boys Round Here" by Blake Shelton.  I'm going to assume it's a popular song because while I've learned more about Blake Shelton music than I ever wanted (or felt to be safe), I couldn't be bothered to look up the sales statistics.  The song begins with the ever-poignant line "Red red red red red red red red redneck."  So, we're starting from a position of strength.  

The chorus of the song, after dealing with the seemingly obligatory topics of religion, pickup trucks, and beer, closes with the line "Chew tobacco, chew tobacco, chew tobacco, spit."  I'm Not Making This Up

This seems to be just as unhealthy a message to be sending to America's youth as the violence, drug use, crime, and misogyny found in most rap lyrics (that aren't talking about how the rapper is a better rapper than everyone else).  An appropriate re-lyricing of this song would probably produce a very similar line, "give me cancer, give me cancer, give me cancer...*TBD"

* - I couldn't think of a one-syllable word to fit in here that might express dejection and rhyme with "spit."  I'll keep working.  

 I took it upon myself to investigate some other Blake Shelton lyrics from that same album to see what other non-wholesome themes present themselves in his songs.  The results were staggering:

  • "Sure be cool if you did"
    • Excessive Drinking
    • Promiscuity
       
  •  "Country On The Radio"    
    • Excessive Drinking
    • Gun Violence
    • Promiscuity  
  • "Doin' What She Likes" 
    • Excessive Drinking
    • Fire Safety
    • Reckless Driving
  • "Mine Would Be You"    
    • Excessive Drinking 
    • Smoking


This is terrible!  Because of the awful messages being sent to consumers of rap music, many of the CDs are required to carry a warning label from the government warning of potentially harmful lyrics.  This sort of nonsense is no different.  Drinking and driving, careless smoking, open flames, and smokeless tobacco use are just as harmful as asking Females To Vacate Your Right Of Way.  By the way...don't click that link....just don't. 

I move that the surgeon general step in and produce warning labels for country music CDs to warn people of the dangers found within.  

No comments: