Monday, February 13, 2017

Anyone Want It?



Always need to be careful when Friday the 13th falls on a monday


Jeremy has no idea what a calendar looks like.  This should come as a shock to nobody.


So, nobody likes mondays.  They're that first work day after a "relaxing" weekend filled with shoveling that flaky white crap off your driveway.  It's a time for catching up on the ridiculous pile of emails you somehow managed to get over the weekend where everybody but you was apparently working.  

People also fear Friday the 13th.  It's become such a thing that it gets its own word, "Triskaidekaphobia."  

So, when you combine the two concepts, you get monday the 13th.  That's today, if you hadn't noticed.  

As such, a thing happened at work today which is mightily symbolic of monday the 13th.  I work with a number of suppliers who provide goods and services to the company I work for.  One of these suppliers had a quality issue a little while back that they developed a fix for, but wanted to elaborate on the root cause of the issue.  So, they sent me a box full of their products that have the root cause on them so that I can...well...quite frankly, I'm not sure what it is I'm supposed to do with this box of stuff, but they sent it to me.  

Normally, when a supplier sends me a box of material, it stays in the warehouse and I get a notification that I got a box of material and the warehouse folks ask me what is to be done with them.  I coordinate with them, and things happen.  Delegation!  In today's case, this didn't happen, and the box of products showed up in my office...8 cubic feet of cardboard (a full approximately 17% of my available office area) with stuff inside that I can't possibly use in my office.  I have even less of an idea now what I'm supposed to do with this stuff.

Regardless, I open the shipping box and pull out the gubbins inside.  Inside the box is a container with the materials in it...well...more or less.  A full 20% of the material was broken during shipping and now exists as a pile of fragments at the bottom of the container.  So not only can I not use this stuff in my office, but I can't use most of it anywhere since it's either broken or contaminated with broken pieces.  I have further even less of an idea now what I'm supposed to do with this stuff.

I sent the supplier an email explaining the situation and how the box arrived damaged.  I ask the supplier if they had expected me to return this box of product after I was done doing whatever it was I was supposed to do with it.  The supplier's response was to say that they didn't need it back, and since it got broken, they can just send me another one.  I continue to have further even less of an idea what I'm supposed to do with this stuff, and now there's going to be more of it!   

Ladies and Gentlemen...only on monday the 13th. 

No comments: